Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Soooo, hmmmm...

I was part of an Etsy Street Team, well, I've been part of several.  They are a lot of work.  Posting and chatting and listing and more chatting.  Bumping up threads and promoting not only your own work but other peoples work as well.  It can be overwhelming and exhausting.  Especially since I have 3 actual websites besides my Etsy store, a physical location where I host classes and do my work, a house to take care of, 4 dogs, 2 kids, and a hubby.  Whhhew!  But I digress.  I have to say, that I never noticed any more activity going to my Etsy store by being part of a "team".  I can say that the last team I was on, I experienced a total of zero sales for all the hard work.  It's disappointing and can lead to a blown ego.  I may have given up too easy, but I'll never know.  I gave it a couple of months, and when I felt like I couldn't keep up and couldn't keep doing my part I let them know I had to go. 

A couple weeks ago I decided that if I was going to be a serious beadmaker, which was my intent when I opened my brick and mortar store (but what happened there is another post), I had to start doing something about that Etsy store whether I like the idea of paying someone else for my work or not.  So, I decided to list 5 items a day, that's $1 per day for listing fees... I can do that.  I did for about 7-8 days straight, then I ran out of stuff to list.  Whoops!

It doesn't seem to matter!  I've just been "sharing" what's already there on Facebook and Twitter!  And it's working!  I have in the last two weeks done better on my own than I ever did on a team.  I am grateful! 

So here are my meager tips...
1.  Have decent photos!  In focus at the very least.  I take mine outdoors for the most accurate color.
2.  List something every single day, or even every other day... on the days you don't list, "share" things that are already listed in your shop.
3.  "Share" new listings on  Facebook and Twitter
4.  Have lots to choose from, all price levels.
5.  Make sure you price to include the listing fee and Etsy and Paypal's "cut", I think it's about 3% of your listing price for both... which means, if you price something at $10.00, Etsy is going to charge .20 for listing and 3% of your $10.00... then Paypal is going to charge you 3% of that same $10.00.  So, your share is now $9.20... if that's okay with you, then perfect.  If not, you need to charge a bit more so you can get what you want *for your product*.
6.  Postage... don't forget that anything over 1/4" is going to be a "large" package and cost about twice as much as something 1/4" or less.  So charge adequately for your packaging and your shipping fees.  I just use First Class Mail in the US.  Orders over $50 get insured.

Just a few notes from me after a just a couple good weeks with Etsy.  I am definitely no expert, this is just what I've learnedin the last couple of weeks.  I hope it helps :)

ETA:  I lost my thought about the "street team" thing... my point was, you don't need to be on an Etsy team to have success.  If you have the time and can do your part of being on the team, then go for it.  There is great camaraderie in being on a team.  It just didn't work *for me*.  And please, if you're going to be on a team, do your part, don't let everyone else do the work... it's not fair to the people who are doing their part.  It's called a "team" for a reason. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Donna, I found you on SITS, I don't have an Etsy store, just a blog, thought I'd stop by and say hello! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head, Miss D. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Holly and Lori :) I know I'm no expert but just a few tweeks here and there and I'm figuring it out. Go me! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, street teams do not work in place of advertising. What I *really* love are the ones that charge fees.

    You go on with your promotin self, Girl! The more content you create online, the more likely your work will be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Miss Fickle! I need to take some of my own advice and get to listing. I've been slacking the last week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, can't seem to find your email, can you shoot me one? GinaParker4PR@gmail.com - it's about your BOOSt. :)

    ReplyDelete